Riding to class or work has many benefits for your health, your wallet, and the planet! Here’s some info to get you on the road.
- Campus Bicycling Info – Sacramento State University Transportation
- Campus Bike Compounds & Parking Locations
- Sac State Bicycle Infrastructure
- Sac State Bicycle Brochure
- On Campus – Bike Locker Rentals
- Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates – Commuting Info
- Plan Your Route
Bike Commuting Wardrobe
Helmet (always important)
To protect that lovely head of yours; no matter rain or shine, a helmet is your most important piece of equipment. Wear one.
Shirt and Shorts
- Shirt – cotton tends to absorb sweat and not wick it away. A nice synthetic shirt will make your long commute a much more enjoyable one.
- Shorts – or pants. It’s your call.
Socks and Shoes
- Socks – wool socks are always the way to go no matter the weather.
- Shoes – whichever shoes are comfortable for you to ride in. Avoid sandals, as they can get sweaty and become slippery, creating blisters.
Helmet (always a key for cycling)
A fleece helmet warmer is a great way to keep your head nice and warm. A beanie is also good if you can fit it in.
Jacket and Pants
- Jacket – a waterproof wind breaker with a hood is great for cold as well as rainy conditions.
- Pants – wool cycling pants are amazing for cold weather, but nylon waterproof pants are the only way to go when it comes to rain. Cotton will absorb all the water and leave you low and wet.
Shoes and socks
- Socks – wool socks always!!
- Shoes – for shoes in cold weather it’s up to you. Whatever will keep you feet warm. In the rain, wear those same warm shoes, but get a waterproof booty for them. That way, your feet are warm and dry.
Classes and Clinics
For proper accessories and commuting etiquette, come to our How-To Clinics on Year Round Riding. They are held throughout the year. We will teach you how to ride when the traffic is packed and what you should always have on you when you’re on your daily commute. Best of all, it’s free.